Architectural photography is a challenging field where robust solutions are often required to deliver images that will be valuable visual assets. Too many clients settle for "what is is what it is" when they want project photography. In some cases, this is true. However, attention to detail before, during, and after the shooting can make all the difference in the world. The final image was delivered after thoughtful observation during the walk through, purposeful staging and shooting during the photo shoot, advanced shooting techniques (HDR), and extensive post processing.
During the walk through prior to shooting day, we planned on shooting this important view featuring this marvelous great room and beamed ceiling. The views out the windows were disappointing, to say the least. One window included a construction dumpster, another shingles from the roof next door, and the third a Tyvec covered wall.
We decided to shoot new content for the exterior double window and make the other windows go to a sky tone. When we arrived for the photo shoot, we shot an exterior photo of homes across the street.
In addition to the window issues, we discovered several other items which would have to be dealt with in post processing. The flame from the fireplace was too small. One of the recessed lights reflected in the painting above the fireplace in a distracting manner. A lamp cord was visible in a prominent part of the view.
Four shots at different exposures were shot twice, once for background focus, and once for foreground focus. Each set of four shots was processed as HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos and merged using stacking software to optimize Depth of Field. Next, the working file was loaded into a Masking application where the exterior content in the four windows was removed or masked out.
The first masking version didn't go so well. The photo taken across the street looked too big and prominent through the windows. If we made the scene smaller, the black asphalt road looked too dominant and contrasty.
Back to the masking software, we removed the road.
After several fine tuning operations and addressing the other editing concerns, we had our finished image!